Monday, April 21, 2008

First YL Club Night!!

Well, I went to my first Young Life Club night tonight just down the street. I'm not 'official' yet, but I went anyway. It was a blast! They had the kids bob for apples blindfolded, with the blindfolded kids not knowing that there were also goldfish in the tub! They also had some kind of ninja helicopter thing...the kids all put pantyhose on their heads with a tennis ball in the end and swung it around with their heads like a helicopter. The point was to entangle their helicopter with someone else's and yank it off their heads. It was probably the most hilarious thing I've seen in quite a while! They also did leg wrestling (an on-the-floor version of arm wrestling) and had a skit with some of the leaders dressed up singing. On top of that they had a full band and singers and at the end they had one of the leaders speak for about 5 to 8 minutes on what it means to have a relationship with Jesus and how we all screw up and for some of us, we are just as horrified and deflated by our own actions. However, we are weak and He is strong. She also spoke about Jesus's "bestie" Peter and how he denounced Christ before his crucifixion, and also wanted what others had and wasn't satisfied. She went on to say that a true relationship with Christ would "rock your world". I was so impressed with how to the point the message was and how much the kids really were in tune to it as I scanned the room.

The kids were just awesome. I'd say there were about 30 or 40 there. I also found out at this meeting that while the city YL director had been on a mission trip that the kids had come together and organized a fund raiser on their own to gather money for the director and his family. They even convinced our church to do an 'extreme home makeover' for their family.

The kids were welcoming and kind, as were the leaders, who already seemed to know me and why I was there when I walked in.

I am going to start praying for these kids now, and the growth of this organization that has the potential to reach so many youth, for the resources and the many leaders they still need (and a facility, their's was damaged in the recent storms), and whatever He has in mind for my part within it.

It was SO much fun! Next week is a kickball tournament! I'll keep you updated!

Oh, and I was nervous, because I am so terrible with names. But I can think of about 15 of the kids and leaders that I would be able to recognize and name next week. God even helps out with the little stuff!

No comments: