Friday, June 27, 2008

Just brings it all home...

Today the kids and I washed my car. Honestly, it wasn't the fun time I thought it would be, but my car is shiny! We went to the pool right after. My son is just a little fish now! He's jumping in the deep end. My daughter was still terrified. She even said she just wanted to go home instead of coming off of the first step. But I convinced her to stay. It took two hours and after crying (her) and begging (me) she accidentally let go of me wearing her pink arm floaties. She was so surprised that nothing happened! I convinced her to try again and after another half hour she finally did. Then she would get scared and look down and flounder and swallow water. I caught myself saying, "Look up, look at my face. Look only at me, nothing else matters. It's going to be okay. If you fall, or something happens, I'm right here, I'll get you, I'll pick you up and help you. You don't have to be afraid, I'm right here." I said it over and over and over again, and yet she still would have times of panic and struggle against me and make matters worse.

HA! Just like me!! How many times has my Father said the same thing to me? How many times has he just waited for me to turn to him and focus only on His face??

I know I've talked about it over and over before, but I feel like He's teaching it to me over and over again, just like I kept saying it to my daughter over and over.

It's like when my son was saved. We went to speak with our children's pastor at church and I sat back and let them talk. The children's pastor asked him a lot of questions to make sure he knew just what was going on, and that the decision was truly his. One of the questions he asked in conversation was, "What do you think will happen if you don't talk to God (meaning praying and reading His word)?" My son said, "I won't know his voice." The children's pastor and I were both floored! It's completely true, when I turn my eyes away, turn away my focus from Him, create distance (for He is always there, it's me that left), and I won't recognize His voice.

Look down, doubt, fear, stumble, flounder and fall. He's just waiting patiently for me to turn my eyes to Him, even if I'm stubborn and forget, or deny Him time and time again.

My daughter is now so proud of herself. We went swimming again this evening with her dad so she could show him how she could swim. And my son learned how to do a cannonball. It was awesome.

Verse to Ponder: Proverbs 3:25, 26 (NKJV) Do not be afraid of sudden terror, Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; For the Lord will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught.

No comments: