But on the topic of quitting, I've been going back and forth lately. I'm not usually a 'quitter', I'm more of the 'check-it-off-the-to-do-list' kinda gal, which means if I start something I finish it or do as much possible, even if it means overworking myself in the process.
Thursday we went swimming at some friend's house, just me and the kids. My son accidentally dropped (aka..'threw') his pool sticks into their deep end, which was about a 100 feet deep (not really, but it felt like it). I thought I could totally dive and get the 5 sticks. It took me ten minutes. It was so difficult for me to get my body down to the bottom, and then to hold my breath for any length of time to snatch the sticks. About half way through my numerous dives I wanted to quit, the whole pack of sticks didn't cost that much. I am way out of shape and practice. But every time I came up for air my son was cheering me on saying how 'cool' I was that I could dive like that, so I pressed on.
Again, with VBS this week. It is my first time to volunteer and I went in thinking "i got this", and left the first meeting wanting to just run away. Even this morning having to wake up 2 hours early with the kids and prep the rest of the room and figure out where to go and keep up with the kids (estimated 1700 in attendance) for my room, about half way through I was seriously dreaming up reasons, and making up some too, in my head to opt out for the rest of the week. But, I'm going to stick with it.
Then there's working out. I'm going to camp which is going to have wake boarding, hiking, ropes course, para sailing, etc. and I know how out of shape I am (I get winded just walking around the block!) so I thought I'd start up a regular work out routine. I started TIVOing some shows of the fitness channel, and I even watched one - from the comfort of my bed with my bowl of ice cream. I did weights too, 8 lbs. in each hand for .....8 minutes. (I'm telling you...if you ever want time to slow down, start lifting weights.) Yeah, I only did it once and haven't picked them up since.
I know these instances seem very trivial, but there are so many other more significant circumstances where I am faced with the option or the urge to quit. And it takes a lot more than willpower to stay in the game most times.
I know it's easier to quit, and it makes me challenge myself. I tell my kids all the time that anything worth doing is going to involve effort and perseverance. I can't tell you how many times I've walked away with the gut wrenching feeling that if I had only held on longer, I could have known I couldn't have done any more. I tell them you can't ever fail if you don't quit.
There's this thing I hear on the radio from time to time and it's called "taking a minute", a one-minute lesson...click on the link to hear about the one called "Developing Perseverance".
Verses to Ponder: James 1:5-18 (The Message)
If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.
When down-and-outers get a break, cheer! And when the arrogant rich are brought down to size, cheer! Prosperity is as short-lived as a wildflower, so don't ever count on it. You know that as soon as the sun rises, pouring down its scorching heat, the flower withers. Its petals wilt and, before you know it, that beautiful face is a barren stem. Well, that's a picture of the "prosperous life." At the very moment everyone is looking on in admiration, it fades away to nothing.
Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life.
Don't let anyone under pressure to give in to evil say, "God is trying to trip me up." God is impervious to evil, and puts evil in no one's way. The temptation to give in to evil comes from us and only us. We have no one to blame but the leering, seducing flare-up of our own lust. Lust gets pregnant, and has a baby: sin! Sin grows up to adulthood, and becomes a real killer.
So, my very dear friends, don't get thrown off course. Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light. There is nothing deceitful in God, nothing two-faced, nothing fickle. He brought us to life using the true Word, showing us off as the crown of all his creatures.
No comments:
Post a Comment