Thursday, June 12, 2008

not even with an intertube, floaties and just 2 ft. of water...

Last summer, my daughter was not afraid of the water. In fact, we had to pretty much tie a rope around her to keep her from jumping off the boat. She doesn't know how to swim, and she was fearless. I was afraid for her because of her lack of caution.

This summer, it's different. Ok, different is an understatement, it's like she's a completely other kid. She is SO petrified of the water that she clings to me where I can't breathe. She won't attempt to do anything even close to learning how to swim, won't try new floaties or trust that I won't let anything happen to her.

Today, we went to some friend's house to swim. She was the next to oldest there out of 9 kids and was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs when I tried to coax her off of the first step.

Is this the same kid?

I caught myself saying to her, "You are fine!", "Just trust me", "Nothing is going to happen to you, I'm right here!", "Just trust that you are going to be okay, and try it!!"

I got SO frustrated with her to see that she had been so far beyond this point last summer and now was being circled by the three year olds without floaties or helping moms. I know it had to make her disheartened too.

Isn't this SO how I am with my relationship with God? He's shown me time and time again that He will protect me, provide for me, help me through any situation and at times my fear and doubt is so out of control, so irrational, just like my daughter's.

Ah, I learn so much about me through my kids!

We're going to keep trying with her, and I'm going to keep trying with Him until we get this right...

Verse to Ponder: II Timothy 1:7(NKJV)For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and a sound mind.

PS> I'm now up to $550 saved toward my $650 goal for Younglife!!

No comments: