Part of this has been small changes lately, like the kinds of talk I allow myself to get into, to the types of TV shows and radio I expose myself too. It DIRECTLY effects my thoughts and actions, I've seen it clearly lately. Just like the rain makes me sleepy and glum. What I do, expose myself too or take part in, even indirectly, has a direct result on who I am, changes me.
I was told an analogy a long time ago that has stuck with me, and now I tell it to my oldest kid. It had to do with my teenage years and what I wanted to be part of, or who I wanted to be with.
One day a brother and sister came home and asked their dad if they could go to a concert with their friends. They were both not able to drive and the father knew about the concert, it's rampant drug use among those that attended, that the bands playing openly denounced Christ and glorified sin. He told his kids that he didn't want them to go because he feared for their safety and didn't want them to take part in the activities they all knew would be there. The kids came back with how unfair it was, and that they didn't take part in the drug use, that they would only be passengers in the car and that they didn't like the lyrics to the songs, or the intention of the artists to reach their audience with a sinful message, they just liked the 'beat'. It wouldn't affect them.SO, good stuff in, good stuff out. I've already talked about 'overflow' in a previous blog. But now I'm seeing the direct effect of my choices. I'm going to stay away from situations I know might harm me. I have to try not to lie or hide what I believe (in my words AND actions). I have to try not to hide parts of me around certain people. I have to try not to be a chameleon and talk like them, act like them, but just be me, do what I do, believe what I believe and hope that we can all learn something from each other. That's what I hope. I hope I'm putting the right stuff in and turning away from the rest. Not just for me, but so I don't cause someone else to stumble, or cause them pain.
The next day the two kids came home from school and the second they opened the door they smelled the sweet smell of freshly baked brownies. When they got to the kitchen the father had set the table and asked them to sit. He asked if they would like the brownies. Of course!! They grabbed plates and started to dive in. He stopped them short and said, I should be fair and honest and let you know that I baked these delicious brownies with just a small amount of dog poo in them. I mixed it up, so you probably won't even taste it. The kids looked at him like he was crazy. He continued to tell them, it's just a pinch, it probably won't hurt you too terribly, and you might not even notice the taste at first. The kids saw now that he was serious and dropped their plates. The father looked at them and asked them what the problem was, why they weren't enjoying the treat. Of course, they sounded their disgust and objections. The father took the brownies and threw them in the trash. He then explained how 'just a little' of a bad thing can ruin everything you have going for you, that saying that you will ignore the parts of an activity or pretend not to be actively involved in something you know is wrong could produce a bad result. It wasn't that he didn't want his kids to have friends, to love and pray for those they knew were headed down the wrong path, but to expose themselves and join in things that they knew would compromise their character and beliefs was wrong, and just like they wouldn't eat the tainted brownies, even though the taste and smell may have been great, they shouldn't take part in the concert or other situations like it.
Besides, it's not like I can hide myself from the only One that matters anyway, He knows me better than I do.
Verse to ponder: John 12:22 (NIV) "He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings deep shadows into the light. "
No comments:
Post a Comment