Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Maybe it’s still fresh, but it’s what’s on my mind…

Yesterday was more than just a rainy day. It was the day that my husband’s aunt and cousin (oldest son) were in a terrible automobile accident. My husband told me about it first, asking if he should go to the hospital, or just wait to hear how his family was doing. He didn’t seem worried when I spoke with him. He didn’t at all seem in a hurry, because he was sure they were fine.

After he was gone, I was in the restroom when the house phone rang. My step-father-in-law left a message on the machine that my son relayed as he heard the words…


“There’s been… an accident….He needs you… to call him….she… died and he is …in really bad shape.”


I was in shock as the words came out of my son’s mouth. He hadn’t even realized what he had repeated until he saw the look on my face. He came to me crying several minutes later after that voicemail, realizing what he had heard, who it involved and what it meant.

It is incredibly hard to comprehend, I'm not sure I'm ever supposed too. There are some things as a human that are just beyond my understanding.

I just got down in the floor with my kids and prayed for my extended family. I spoke to my husband again and told him I was sorry. I hurt for him and for his/my family, but I didn’t know what else to say. He told me he knew she was in a better place now, and everything would be alright.

As of last night, her son is still unconscious. He is unresponsive and has no reflexes, but has no injuries other than 'something wrong' with his C2 vertebrae (in his neck). They took him into an MRI last night, but we are still waiting on the results.

I have been praying over and over again since we heard the news. I tried to comfort my son, who had lots of questions, like, Is there crying in heaven? I found a couple of verses. I know it's not a magic healing patch for what has happened, but we read it together anyway.

Verses to Ponder:

Isaiah 41:10 (NLT) Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

Revelation 21:4 (NLV) God will take away all their tears. There will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All the old things have passed away.


If you are reading this, please pray for my family.

1 comment:

The Q. Family said...

I am so sorry Brittany. You and your family are in my T&P's!