Well, so we weren't in the path of Ike, *phew*, but there were many, many more that were. Lots that will have to rebuild their property, their lives from this day forward. It seems kinda sureal as I look outside and see the gorgeous weather we have here.
I'm going by what I hear on the boob tube, which may be my problem to begin with, and not knowing the 'true' motives of the Galvestonians (maybe they couldn't get out, i.e. didn't have transportation or were too sick or elderly, but I assume that wasn't the case for the 100k who didn't budge), I may be speaking out of turn. But nonetheless, "What the...?" They were given a mandatory evacuation, MAN-DA-TORY. They were told if they chose to stay they would need to write their social security #s on their arms, and that they would be on their own. BUT, thousands, HUNDREDS of thousands stayed. So now they put the tax dollars and rescue personel in hot water, pun intended. They reported over 1000 emergency rescue calls the night Ike hit, and they did what they said they'd do, they said "sorry" and to wait it out. The next day though, as the storm was still leaving effects and the water wasn't usable, and power lines were down, mass flooding and destruction, these rescue forces were out cleaning up the mess and starting the rescue of those people that didn't head the warnings.
It makes me upset!
It's really not fair to the rescue teams to be put into danger for those that wouldn't budge, or to those that left who will be footing the tax bill of the rescue team's aid for those who stayed. They shut down the island for goodness sakes! Maybe next time there will be a punishment for those that stay with their fingers plugging their ears, eyes closed saying "La-la-la-la-la, I'm not listening" while the order for MANDATORY evacuation was being given FOUR DAYS in advance. Didn't we learn anything from Katrina people? Get out!
On another note, we got word from the YL in Haiti. They have been hit again and again by all the tropical storms recently and are having trouble putting it all back together. Please pray for them...
Dear Friends:
I learned yesterday from Joe Walters, Young Life vice president for Latin America, of the impact Hurricane Hanna has had on our staff and volunteers in Haiti. Sadly, one of our own volunteer leaders is among those who lost their lives in this storm. Following is an e-mail written from Joe:
I was able to make contact tonight with Chedrick Caneus, our national director in Haiti. He is a beautiful testimony of a wonderful, godly leader. When asked how we can help, he said would you ask others to pray. I assured him I would. He told me the name of our volunteer leader in Gonaives who died as a result of the storm. His name is Aristide Emmanuel. He was not married. It seems that those who lived in homes with a second story or a sturdy roof to escape the rising waters were safe. Unfortunately this was not the case for Aristide. Chedrick reported that the other cities deeply affected by the hurricanes where we have Young Life, Miragone and Massaide, all survived without loss of life. The roads to each of these areas are washed out and Chedrick is staying in touch with all by phone. We ended our time tonight on the phone by praying together. I continue to receive way more than I ever give to these saints. Tonight was another example of this. Please pray for those struggling with this tragedy and with the challenge of rebuilding their lives after the storm. Furthermore, if you are in a position to help financially, you can send your gift to the Service Center made payable to Young Life X365 Haiti, hurricane relief. The immediate need is for food, water and temporary shelter for our Young Life staff and volunteers in Haiti, and as the damage is assessed there will be a long-term need for funds to rebuild the homes of these same staff and volunteers.
We will provide ongoing information about the impact of the storm on Haiti on younglife.org. In the meantime, thank you for praying for our brothers and sisters in the mission and all others affected by the storms.
Verse to Ponder: Romans 8:38, 39 (NKJV) "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
No comments:
Post a Comment