Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm an idiot when it comes to politics, but...

I'm sure you've heard about McCain's running mate. I'm sure you've also heard that yesterday, they announced that her 17 year old unmarried daughter is pregnant. Oops.

I read some of the comments from John Q. Public and was shocked at how easy it was for everyone to judge, republican or not. (BTW, in case you're curious, I'm not 'affiliated' with either party.)

They went on and on about how the mom was to blame for the daughter's indiscretions, how Palin wasn't ready or suited for the position should she get it, how the newest child in the Palin family must really be the daughter's too, because earlier in the year the 17 yr old looked 'pudgy' at events. So collectively the public has drawn the daughter's name and self-esteem through the mud and quickly judged the mom to be an unsuitable mother and leader.

It just rang home with me. I know that a lot of the stuff I've done and been through had an ill affect on my parents. I know others were quick to judge, gossip, hate, alienate, point fingers and scoff and I'm sure my parents may have even blamed themselves. But the truth is that no one knows what's really going on or why but that person, that family and God, everyone else should just hold their tongue. Often the havoc done by their vile idioms does more damage than the incidents themselves and can lead that person or person(s) down a slippery slope. I'm living proof. I also know that sometimes things just happen, despite all efforts and great upbringing, things happen - out of pain, defense mechanisms, chemical imbalances, loneliness, naivety, or just one stupid mistake or moment of weakness. The world is a cold place sometimes, and sometimes there is no blame to be put anywhere.

I hurt for this little girl, for her mom, for my mom, and for myself as 17 yr old I once was, and as a mom hearing about this story and how closely it relates to my own. I pray that somehow it all works out for His glory. I pray for this little girl dealing with so much and for the microscope she is under to stop. We don't know what's really going on and it's just not our place to judge, frankly it's none of our business. I may be alone on this, like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to politics, but I think this should be left alone and not introduced into underhanded campaign tactics. I just wish the whole campaigning business were over already.

**Stepping down from my soapbox now.**

No comments: